In terms of frequently asked questions from our readers, this one always seems to be at the top of the list.
In between all of the bits and bobs, the odd and awesome destinations, wild adventures, moments of unknown next steps and inevitable mis-steps, we always seem to come away with a smile on our faces. So just how do we do it?!
1. Humor is KEY. Most misunderstandings and differences happen over the silliest of things, like that time… I can’t even remember. That’s the thing, we learn to laugh off the small stuff so we can have room to enjoy and highlight those moments we want to remember, and then all those petty little “fights” actually become moments we can laugh at later.
2. Share uninterrupted quality time. I know this may sound intimidating to some, but one of the best things that adventuring together offers us is the space to honestly communicate about things that need to be aired out. Through communicating like this, we have become in tune with each other’s needs and more aware of how our actions affect the other. We highly recommend consistent adventuring so that things don’t get stored away behind the busyness that is life.
And sometimes, when you’ve been road tripping together for 2 weeks straight, you don’t even need words to communicate certain thoughts… here is a classic example of what happens when I am left to navigate unchartered lands:
3. Cherish alone time. As much as we love being together, we have come to value the importance of taking the time to be alone, contemplate life and listen to our souls. It’s important to exercise our independent muscles so we can be strong, level-headed adventurers for each other.
4. Challenge each other. Physically, intellectually and emotionally.
- There are times when I’m not particularly thrilled to go mountain biking, and some mornings I have to drag Drew out of bed to join me for a morning run, but in these moments we realize that we’d rather experience and overcome something challenging together than be left uninspired in our “comfort zones.”
- Intellectually we are always sharing links to awesome articles, blogs, websites and videos. We are firm believers in the fact that thoughts stem from the things you read and watch, and are always in search of something inspiring to share during our lazy day hammock hangout sessions:
- Emotionally we make each other feel all that life and a healthy relationship have to offer and we don’t hold back. Emotions are a roadmap, some places we want to return to while others we’d rather learn how to avoid. Either way we know we are in this together and without emotions, there’d be no adventure!
5. We celebrate! Life is full of so many reasons to be grateful, and highlighting these things, no matter how small, adds an immeasurable amount of joy to a relationship. Gratitude can be celebrated in so many ways and not only makes you feel good, but also reminds your significant other that they are respected and appreciated. Whether it’s surprising him with his favorite breakfast (eggs in a nest), or me being welcomed home by my favorite flowers (sunflowers/roses/I can’t pick), it’s these small things that make ordinary days extraordinary.
So, in conclusion, the simplest, most honest answer to how we maintain our happiness is: We choose to be happy. Everyday. (Oh yes, and kisses, lots and lots of kisses.)